Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm Addicted To Transformed Lives


Today's phone call is one of the reasons that I love being a Christian. I'm addicted to seeing lives change. The word that comes to mind is metamorphosis. You know, the caterpillar becoming the butterfly.

I asked permission if I could share some of Kimberly's story. After experiencing a date rape as a teenager Kimberly dealt with her brokenness in broken ways. She became promiscuous and also began using drugs. Even though she later got married and had kids she couldn't shake her drug habit and Kimberly and her husband began going to strip clubs. On a whim she entered an amateur stripping contest and won. That opened the door to Kimberly becoming a stripper.

The money was good, the hours gave Kimberly flexible time to be with her kids, and it kept her drug habit going.

Then came Easter. All you can say is that God must have stirred her heart in some way because Kimberly decided she was going to church on Easter, and she did! Then she went again and again. Her heart softened toward Christ and His church and she decided to become a Christ follower. God so deeply touched Kimberly's life that she not only was able to stop doing drugs but she began telling her customers at the strip club, "You ought to go home to your wife and stop coming here!" Within weeks Kimberly not only left the business but she created and led a coalition to promote family values and to oppose the operation of strip clubs with ordinances and legislation.

It was at this point that I met Kimberly and invited her to my church to share her story. That was several years ago and we've stayed in touch ever since. Today's call was to let me know that God continues to redeem her life and change our world. She just returned from training leaders in Puerto Rico to work with family enrichment and to work for the healing of those with wounded hearts. She just received an invitation to do the same training in Venezuela and a major American organization just hired her to train thousands of their personnel.

Have you considered bringing your "caterpillar" life to God and inviting Him to birth you into a new life? I've done it. I have dozens of friends that have done it. God may be closer to you in this moment than at any other time in your life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how God pulls us from the darkness and into light and gives us wings to fly into other peoples lives. As Kimberly, I too am excited to see what God is going to write on my pages as I travel the road totally free and grateful I have a living Father that cares and loves me. From the beast into the beauty of His grace.

Scott Brewer said...

Donna:

Thanks for your comments and faith. I agree with you that God is and will be writing some great pages and chapters with your life.