Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is It Ok to Pray for Your 401(k)?


Is it okay to pray for your 401(k)? This was the question posed in a recent TIME Magazine article. The article raised the issue of whether it is selfish or not to ask God to bless one’s investments, retirement plans and means of providing for one’s family.

Good question. What do you think?

While reading the article it occurred to me that over these recent weeks where we’ve had a national economic crisis, I and many of you have lost a lot of money. I never thought to ask God to bless my investments.

Rather, I was prompted to pray confessions to God that my trust was in Him and not in my income or investments. Every time a thought of sadness or grief or fear has popped up I have sought to meet that thought with a prayer that confesses that God will be my Rock, my Provider and my Sustainer.

I don’t think there is anything theologically improper about asking God for material or monetary help or blessing. In fact Mark 11:24 indicates that there is nothing unworthy about praying for “things”. But what is also true is that prayer is initiated by God’s Spirit. God prompts us to pray and guides us concerning what to pray.

“We don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us…” (Romans 8:26)

During these uncertain days by all means pray and talk with God. Let His Spirit guide you in your thinking and praying. “His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7)

No comments: