Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How Will You Be Remembered?


It has been a remarkable few days. Since leaving the Celebrate Recovery Summit at Saddleback I’ve had much to think about and process. One of the things that I appreciated about the CR version of recovery is that it is biblical and broad based. By broad based I mean that recovery is defined as a needful experience for anyone with a hurt, habit or hang-up from which he or she would like to recover. If you’re a chronic worrier or a drug addict, CR can be used of God to help you be restored to sane and fruitful living.

Gathering day after day with over 3,000 CR leaders who are already personally working the program and are being delivered from dozens of types of brokenness I was inspired and encouraged that anyone can have significant life change. Regardless of the screwed up beginning or middle years of your life you can finish well.

So when I came upon the obituary linked here my heart was deeply saddened. Here’s a brief clip from the obit--

Dolores Aguilar, born in 1929 in New Mexico, left us on August 7, 2008…Dolores had no hobbies, made no contribution to society and rarely shared a kind word or deed in her life. I speak for the majority of her family when I say her presence will not be missed by many, very few tears will be shed and there will be no lamenting over her passing…

There will be no service, no prayers and no closure for the family she spent a lifetime tearing apart. We cannot come together in the end to see to it that her grandchildren and great-grandchildren can say their goodbyes. So I say here for all of us, GOOD BYE, MOM.


Dolores was preceded in death by her husband and two children. She is survived by 7 children, 19 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. Obviously it’s too late for Dolores but it is possible for an awful cycle of family living to be broken and new and full life to happen for all of these survivors.

My reflection today stirs me to pray and serve God and people so that life wounds are healed, forgiveness is prevalent, grace flows lavishly and life is marked by deep joy. Christ makes all of this possible. As long as I have breath I want to work for the deliverance/recovery of one more.

No comments: