Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Economic Storm is Worsening


This morning I had the opportunity to hear a presentation by a couple of state legislators who serve on economic related committees. The preview of coming attractions was very dire. Everyone is aware of how busted the state of California is. Apparently Oregon is not far behind and Washington may be bringing up the West coast rear.

Spending for transportation projects (just to name one) and projected revenues to cover the costs don’t match up for the next 5 years. What’s more, other states are seriously courting our major industries with lucrative incentives which further threaten revenues. We are already aware of the losses we’ve incurred on property values and retirement plans and the rise in unemployment. It’s going to get worse.

While listening to the presentation and feeling the mood of the room getting darker and angrier I was immediately transported in thought to the Lord Jesus Christ. Sound bizarre?

In the moment I was grateful that I have not founded my life on my income, economic worth or possessions. Though these things are important they are not my foundation. Therefore if they collapse I don’t. I’ll feel the impact and have more life challenge but I founded my life a long time ago on a relationship with Jesus Christ and He’s not in a crisis or in danger of collapse.

I want our representatives to work and figure out sound solutions to our collective economic challenges. Given the politics of the day I have little confidence that different interest groups will actually put the good of the people before their interests. Nevertheless, “my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness” (old hymn).

I can hear how foolish I sound. It is the kind of foolishness the apostle Paul declared was in fact the wisdom of God. (see 1 Corinthians 1:18-25)

No comments: