Monday, July 20, 2009

Writing My "Last Letter"


A few days ago I was asked to write my “last letter”. Last letter is a movement that is calling for a revolutionary lifestyle inspired by individuals willing to offer every breath to fulfill the passionate call of Christ.


The movement has the gall to ask, “What are you willing to die for?”


Historically it is an ancient tradition of soldiers and missionaries who as they board a ship, write their family and friends a letter that they think might be their final communication! The resurrection of this ancient tradition is to inspire a new generation to think and pray through the reason for their life—and possibly the sacrifice of their life for a cause greater than themselves.


A few of us that have given our life to Christ in ministry and mission were asked to write our “last letter” with the idea that it might stir or inspire others. I have no idea if my letter will ever mean anything to anyone but I know it meant a lot to me.


The moment I sat at my keyboard and began thinking about what to say, all that was in me was stirred. It was powerful to be reminded about the millions of choices I have made over the past 35 years in order to continue to give my life away. And, it was deeply satisfying to know with all my heart that if I had it to do over again I would without hesitation.


If you had 5 minutes in which to write a final word to those you love, what would you say about how you chose to live your life?

No comments: