Monday, September 04, 2006

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed


Steve Irwin, aka the Crocodile Hunter, was tragically killed today while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. Irwin is a television personality and conservationist known for handling crocs, snakes and other deadly kinds of animals. His latest project was producing a series called “Ocean’s Deadliest”. While filming today Irwin got too close to a stingray and was killed at age 44.

Irwin’s colleague, John Stainton, said that Irwin “came on top of the stingray and the stingray’s barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart.” Apparently stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be very painful but rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected that Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

I only have sympathy and grief for the Irwin family and all of his fans and I have no criticism for the work he did and the risks he took. However, the first thought I had when I saw the news of his death was the old proverb, “If you play with snakes you will get bit.” Another similar proverb is, “If you play with fire you will get burned.”

In my world I have meaningful relationships in multiple arenas. In every arena I have friends that are playing with “snakes” and “fire”. Like Irwin, my friends have children and other loved ones that are or will be impacted as they get bit and burned. Every week I offer friendship and counsel to those who have lost their marriages, their children, their careers, their health, and the potential of their futures because their hearts were “pierced” by pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, or sloth.

Yes, I just named the so-called 7 Deadly Sins. If I were you I would take this post reading as a divine encounter. God has sought to lovingly tap you on the shoulder, to lead you away from deadly games, and to usher you in to a life marked by true abundance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Over the past two days I have read and heard many wonderful things about Steve Irwin. People have praised the contributions he made to wildlife, and the bridges he built between people and wild animals, especially the creepy ones...creepy animals I mean.

I can't argue with any of the remarkable things I've heard about Steve. My kids and I watched him for years. The "Crocodile Hunter" will be missed in our family.

I believe what I've heard about Steve Irwin fully understanding the risks involved in what he did and knowing that there was a very real possibility that he could die working with these wild animals. I'd like to believe that Steve did take every precaution to prevent the unthinkable. Yep, "The Crocodile Hunter" played with wild animals and he got killed.

But what I haven't heard is was Steve Irwin prepared for his seemingly inevitable death here on Earth? Did he know Jesus? Had he stored up his treasures in Heaven?
Did Steve die knowing that he and his loved ones will be reunited in Heaven some day?

I hope the answer to these questions is "Yes". Does anyone know how I might find out?