Sunday, December 23, 2007

Tom Brady Asks "The" Question of Life


New England Patriot quarterback Tom Brady appeared on 60 Minutes Sunday. Brady is only 30 and already has “Hall of Fame” credentials. He’s a 3 time Super Bowl winner; 2 time Super Bowl MVP; named to the Pro Bowl 4 times; and last week was named the AP Male Athlete of the Year.

He dates actresses and supermodels and is considered one of the most desired bachelors in the world. My wife saw Brady on TV tonight, didn’t know who he was or what the TV program was about but immediately gushed, “Wow he’s good looking!”

Brady makes millions of dollars and by most standards would seem to “have it all”. Yet, as Steve Kroft conducted the interview the following statement was made--

“Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there’s something greater
out there for me? I mean, a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’
I reached my goal, my dream, my life. Me, I think, ‘God, it’s got to be more
than this.’ I mean, this isn’t, this can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be.”


Innately Brady knows there is more to life than professional success, international fame, and exorbitant wealth. What is it?

I could quote great saints and theologians through the centuries. I could pass on dozens of scriptures which I believe to be the word of God. I could point to contemporary thinkers and philosophers. But, when I first heard Brady’s comments the words of a 6 year old boy came to mind.

A few years ago I was sitting with a group of children. I had asked them to bring something in a small brown paper sack that made them think of God. I took turns opening the bags, examining the contents, letting the child comment on its meaning and then I tried to tie it all together with a Bible lesson.

One child opened his bag and took out a donut and a small round pastry that we commonly call a “donut hole”. The 6 year old said, “This makes me think of God because I’m like the donut with the hole in the middle. God is like the donut hole. I have a hole in my life that only God can fill, just like the donut hole goes in the middle of the donut.”

Tom, that is what the “more” is that you innately know is missing from your life. I don’t mean to be insulting with the simplicity of such a claim but Jesus did say that if one responds to the Gospel he must do so as a child. It is simple faith in the saving work of Christ.

I’m praying for Tom Brady to find and experience Christ this Christmas. And, dear reader, I pray the same for you. Merry Christmas.

No comments: