Monday, December 31, 2007

What Will 2008 Be Like For You?


“If money were no object, what would you do for the rest of your life?”

Many of you have been asked that question before as a facilitator or life coach sought to get you to think “outside of the box” and dream a dream or see a vision.

Pastor Craig Groeschel recently posed the question to about 50 Christians. He expected that some would respond with:

“I’d volunteer my time at the Crisis Pregnancy Center.”

“I’d adopt children from a third world country.”

“I’d mentor young inner city kids.”

Sadly, the most common answers orbited around personal comfort. Instead of Spirit-led, selfless responses, virtually everyone gave answers like:

“I’d quit working, buy a nice car, a new house, a boat.”

“I’d travel.”

“I’d hire people to help me around the house.”

Then Craig asked these same 50 Christians, “Besides ministering to your family, what do you believe is the number one, most important thing that God wants to accomplish through you?”

The most common answer was, “I don’t know.”

Craig was dismayed and commented, “Do we really think God sent His Son so our greatest life’s goal would be a new boat? Do we think He created you and me uniquely and wonderfully, with all our gifts and passions, so we wouldn’t have to work another day in our life? Or even worse, just so we would stumble around for years, ignorant of our reason for existence?”

Craig’s survey and comments have stirred my own reflections about my life and about the lives of those that I love. There’s nothing magical about the turning of a page of a calendar. But, it does serve as a worthy time to determine--

“Why am I here? What needs to happen this year to successfully address my life purpose?”

Blessings on you and yours as you embark on the next part of life’s journey.

No comments: