Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hoopin' It Up -- Follow Up



What a ton of fun. There was basketball being played everywhere in downtown Spokane. It was a spectacle to see hundreds of hoops and players of various ages and skills competing.

The first game of the “Brew Crew” was at 8:00 a.m. Saturday. We showed up about 7:30 to warm up. The sun was already blinding which meant that shooting from one side of the court was virtually impossible. Games were played until the first team scored 20 points or whoever was ahead after 25 minutes.

We lost the first game in a close battle. Later in the day we saw that team again and they crushed their next opponent. We felt better about the way we played.

Our second game was a “must win” at 12:30 p.m. Double-elimination meant that whenever we lost our second game we were through. The temperature was in the mid-90’s and our shooting was just as hot. We easily beat the second team and were scheduled to play again at 4:30.

The third team was a little more difficult but we again prevailed with yours truly hitting the winning shot. Next game, 6:30. Need I say that at this point the gas tank was completely, I repeat, completely empty.

Justin and Jon continued to play well in the fourth game but I couldn’t do my part and pretty much cost us the game. Yep, the “Brew Crew” was eliminated after four games. What a great time.

I’m grateful that I still had enough ability to join my sons in the competition and that they wanted the old man to play. I’m grateful for a wife and daughter-in-law who were supportive and encouraged us to have this weekend together. I’m grateful for loving friends who covered my responsibilities at church on Sunday during my absence.

One historic confession of faith says that man was created to know God and enjoy Him forever. How do you enjoy God? Certainly I enjoy God in many ways. For years now I've enjoyed God in a special way in the game of basketball. I enjoyed God a lot this weekend.

No comments: