Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Where do you live?


Does anyone struggle to really unplug and have a vacation besides me? I’m in Palm Springs this week with my wife, sons and daughter-in-law at a beautiful resort enjoying sunshine, pool time and good meals. I begin the mornings on my patio drinking coffee, reading and enjoying the view of the golf course and mountains (pictured).

Yet, my vacation is constantly invaded with thoughts about work and responsibilities I left behind at home and about tasks, meetings, people, etc. that I face when I return.

Meanwhile, I’m reading through William Young’s novel, The Shack. A first time author, Young wrote the book for his children in the attempt to help them understand God. The lead character, Mack, has an unusual encounter with God at “the shack” and out of that, a number of theological and personal issues on put forth that provoke reflection.

Today I read a section where Mack is engaged in a personal conversation with Jesus. Jesus asks Mack, “Do you think you were designed to live in the past, the present or the future?” After some hesitation, as if it were a trick question, Mack responds, “I think the most obvious answer is that we were made to live in the present.”

Jesus affirmed that Mack got it right but then queried, “But now tell me, where do you spend most of your time, in your mind, in your imagination?”

Pow. I was nailed, not that Jesus is interested in nailing me or anyone. I had to close the book and ponder that. It wasn’t a new revelation. I’ve struggled with this almost all of my adult life. But it was a timely reminder that one of my great challenges is to live in the present.

Where do you live?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quit blogging on vacation and have fun.
BBS