Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Live Like You Were Dying


Country singer Tim McGraw gave me an important reminder this morning while driving to work.

“He said I was in my early forties,
with a lot of life before me
And one moment came that stopped me on a dime
I spent most of the next days,
looking at the x-rays
Talking bout' the options and talking bout' sweet times.
I asked him when it sank in,
that this might really be the real end
How's it hit 'cha when you get that kind of news
Man what did ya do?
He said...
I went skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'”

Just yesterday someone asked me a question about the biblical perspective on planning for the future, retirement, etc. I replied, “Biblically we’re taught to plan and prepare as if we get to live 100 years, but live today like it may be our last.” It is a paradox and a tension in which we live. It’s also a matter of stewardship. If we have chosen to become a Christ follower then we have given our lives to Christ. Our lives are no longer our own but belong to Him. We’re accountable to Christ for how we spend each day.

I like the way the song says it, “Live like you were dyin’”.

Sometimes I’m amazed at the various ways that God can speak into our hearts. God is so great He can even bring a timely message through country music :)

No comments: