Monday, April 14, 2008

Living a Risky Life


Sunday my godson competed in a regional gymnastics meet in the Portland area. Ben is 11 years old and in the 5th grade and has been competing well the past two years. Recently he has been attempting a new move that is not only difficult but risky.

Sunday, in this highly competitive meet, Ben decided to go for it on the new move. He faltered a bit and it cost him some points. Though he finished well he may not have finished as high as he could have had he not attempted the move.

Afterward his attitude was, “I’d rather have gone for it and not made it than not gone for it at all.” I love that!

I hung up from talking with Ben’s mom this morning and I was inspired. There are scenarios in life that God has been inviting me to enter. They are high risk. If it doesn’t work out I can look foolish. I can look like a failure. I can look incompetent. But like Ben, I’d rather go for it and fail than not go for it at all.

What about you? I’m not making a case for living risky in the sense of being reckless and ill prepared. But I am making the case for not playing life too safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!
I think you have hit on the spice of life!
Larry Santi

Anonymous said...

Taking those chances and stepping out in faith only enriches my relationship with God. It is very empowering!

Jill O