Monday, January 28, 2008

Don't Blink


This is a surreal week. Jon, my youngest son is getting married. My wife and oldest son have been pulling out old pictures in order to create a slide show for the wedding reception. Sunday night I was viewing a video tape that was 20 years ago to the day.

The video cast me into a 20 year reflection. Flashing across my mind were memories of people that I have loved and served and done life with. Some have died. Some have become outstanding men or women of character. Some have made a mess of their one and only life.

Some of the years were marked by exciting and scary adventure such as when I packed up my family and moved 2,300 miles to the Seattle area. Some of the years were marked by painful life growth as grandiose dreams of youth gave way to humble reality. Mostly the years are filled with thousands of small daily decisions and actions, the sum of which makes the totality of life. God has blessed me way beyond what I deserve. He has been gracious to me and full of mercy.

Sunday night I allowed myself to reflect on the coming 20 years. What grandchildren will be a part of my life? What loved ones will have died? Who else will I be privileged to see become the person that God dreamed and who will wash out? Who will I be?

I need and I want the Almighty God, the Creator of heaven and earth, to be the Author of the coming chapters. I’ll trust Him with the ups and downs of life’s roller-coaster and that in the end He will have written a good story with my life.

Kenny Chesney captures a lot of what is in my heart today with his song “Don’t Blink” (click here to listen). The chorus says,

“Don’t blink
Just like that you’re 6 years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you’re 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don’t blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning in to moms and dads next thing you know your “better half”
Of 50 years is there in bed
And you’re praying that God takes you instead
Trust me friend a 100 years goes faster than you think
So don’t blink.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Scott,

You are a sentimental fellow and I am looking forward to seeing you make it through your son's ceremony without a tear.

Good luck!

CMB