Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What's In A Name?


The list of the most popular baby names for 2007 was recently released. You can see the list here.

I took note that there were many biblically based names listed, most of which have significant meaning behind them. And, I noticed that my name, “Scott”, was nowhere on the list of the top 100. Wow, disappointing.

Seriously, beyond a curiosity the list provoked a quick reflection. I’m eternally grateful that my Heavenly Father both knows and cherishes my name. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us of God, “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb.”

Songwriter Tommy Walker articulated that sentiment in his song, “He Knows My Name”.

“I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was
in His hands.

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and hears me when I call.”

I frequently talk with people who are stressed, angry with self for not being more organized so they can be less stressed and generally have a diminished level of joy in their heart. These friends are sons and daughters of God. I’ll ask, “What is God saying into your life?” Usually the answer is “I don’t know” to “He wants me to do this or that”.

Yes, God often speaks DIRECTIONALLY into our lives. I need that and want that. But more so, God speaks RELATIONALLY into our lives. “I love you.” “You are precious to Me.” “I delight and take pleasure with you.”

Some children grow up hating it when their parents call their name. It usually means that they are in trouble or they have a task to do. Many children of God have the same mentality about the Lord calling their name.

Often God calls your name just to call you closer to Him and to enjoy relationship with Him.

No comments: