Saturday, May 31, 2008

Restoring the Soul


With respect to doing ministry I’ve been “running” pretty hard for several months. I have some vacation coming up in mid-Summer but more than taking a break from work I have needed to tend to my soul. So, I spent a couple of days in Ocean Shores, Washington this past week. I love sitting by the ocean, watching waves, reading or journaling, etc. It connects me with God in ways that my soul can take a deep long drink.

The Psalmist said, “As the deer longs for the water brooks, so my soul longs for You, O God.” (Psalm 42:1)

Whether your soul gets empty by serving God and people, or by squandering life and sinning, an empty soul is an empty soul.

I’ve been reminded about biblical heroes who got to empty, non-faith(full) places in their lives. Noah got drunk. Abraham lied. Jacob deceived. Moses had a temper. Elijah burned out. Jeremiah got depressed and suicidal. Jonah was a racist. Thomas doubted. John Mark deserted Paul. Timothy had ulcers.

How is your soul? Do you understand why it is well (or not) with your soul? Do you know how to engage God and be restored?

No comments: